January 13th, 2017

Today has been very interesting to say the least!

Last night my mom, brother, and my brother’s friend drove from my parents’ Illinois to my house here in Kansas. They’re on their way back to Colorado and wanted to stop here for the night so they could sleep a bit before the continue on with the last 8 hours of their car ride. So they did, which was fine. Our couch is super comfortable and two people can fit on it, and we have an air up mattress, so we had room for the three of them to sleep, no big deal.

The problem is, my mom brought her dog, Niko. It’s not like he’s a bad dog or anything, for the most part he’s super chill, but Lily hates him. Niko is food aggressive and the first and last time we ever babysat him, he started a fight with Lily over a treat, bit her hard, and bruised her leg and left a tooth hole in her that left a very small part of her muscle exposed (it was seriously not even as big as the tip of my pinky finger, so it didn’t require vet care or anything). Lily, being the incredibly bright border collie she is, remembers this and is holding a grudge. You have never seen a dog hold a grudge the way Lily can. It’s kinda ridiculous. But anyway, she’s the alpha in our house/little dog pack (she only submits to Luke and myself) and she does not tolerate that kind of stuff in her territory. So now ever time she sees him, she gets aggressive with him.

Seriously, he is huge.

Now, if these were two normal dogs, I’d let the situation play out. I’m usually not one to intervene with doggy pack order conflicts. But Niko isn’t a normal dog. He’s a caucasian ovcharka. Back when he and Lily got into a fight, he was was like 7 or 7 months old and weighed 80 pounds. Now he’s a year old and weights 130. So obviously if he and Lily got into another fight things would not end well for her, as she’s a 35 pound border collie. Don’t get me wrong, she’s 35 pounds of pure muscle and is a total badass! She’s been trampled by stampeding cows, got right back up, and went back to herding them. But there is not way she’d live if she got into another fight with Niko. So I’ve had to keep them separated all day, which hasn’t been fun. Poor Dean doesn’t understand what he did to deserve to be locked in the bedroom all day and has been sulking, Lily is pissed and doesn’t understand why she isn’t aloud to restore order in her domain…Fun times.

So originally my mom was planning on leaving my house at 5:00 this morning, but the heater in her car is broken and Luke knows how to and offered to fix it once he got off work today, since it’s only going to get colder as they drive west, so that’s why they ended up staying for most of the day. Not that we minded or anything, it just kinda threw any plans we had out the window. Like me running.

I probably could have woken up early and gotten a few miles in, but since we were up a little later than usual last night, so I didn’t haha. Oh well. I can probably do a few easy miles on Sunday instead taking a rest day. I’ll make it work. πŸ™‚

Anyway, in the morning my mom and I went to the store and got all sorts of food to make. I started some crockpot mac and cheese for dinner. Yum!! Then we took Dean and Niko to the dog park. 

I only took Dean, since I figured he’d behave a lot better with Niko than Lily would. They ended up doing ok. Dean can out run Niko, so they were fine at the park. In the car Niko was getting cranky and was freaking Dean out, so my mom had to sit in between them in the back seat. 

After that we started a pie, then watched shameless and schemed about going to the Green Day show here in Kansas! Apparently my mom really wants to go, so she’s going to try to get us tickets!!!!! Oh man I really really really hopes that happens. I want to go so so so so bad!! Doing my very best not to get my hopes up because it not a for sure thing yet, but at least now there’s hope! 

Anyway, Luke’s dad called me around 2 this afternoon. Apparently Illinois is getting hit pretty hard with ice right now, so he wanted to make sure we weee still ok. It hasn’t started icing or snowing here yet, but we’re supposed to get hit tomorrow afternoon. Good times. 

At 3:40 pm Luke got home and started working on my mom’s car. My brother and his friend helped and they got the part replaced, but apparently that wasn’t the problem, unfortunately. So they left for Colorado at about 6 pm, still without heat in their car. Sucks for them, but at least they tried. 

Not gonna lie, I was kinda glad when they left. It’s nice having family visit and all, but having people over gets exhausting. 

Now I’m just trying to decide if I’m actually going to do a long run tomorrow or not…

Happy Friday the 13th! 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s