I’m Going Streaking and Thanksgiving Things

I’m going to redeem myself this year!! Last year I started the Runner’s World winter running streak, but I had to quit and take a month off from running, due to an injury. This year I’m totally going to take on and finish this streak! 

The goal is to run at least one mile every day, starting on Thanksgiving (today) and ending on New Years Day. I actually ended up starting yesterday, though. 

Luke and I drove to Illinois for the holiday on Tuesday night. My grandma and my brother are my only close family still here for Thanksgiving, so I spent Wednesday hanging out with them, but that afternoon my brother was playing video games and my grandma was napping, so I figured I might as well go for a run. I took Dean out and we did a nice and easy 30 minute run, with a few stops to talk to my horse friends. Over the summer I got them to run the fence line with me, but I guess Dean was making them nervous because they didn’t want to get too close this time around.  

Haha I don’t blame them though, this is only the second or third time he’s seen horses up close. I am proud of how he acted around then. He didn’t bark or get nervous. He was mostly curious and I think he may have wanted to herd them, but he’s never actually herded anything before so he has no idea how to go about that. Plus he doesn’t know that herding horses is not a good idea. But he’s not a farm dog like Lily was, so he wouldn’t know that. 

Lily actually has a little bit of experience with herding cattle, and she’s pretty darn good at it, but that’s a whole different story. 

Anyway, today’s run and day 2 of my streak was a little more difficult. I really didn’t want to get up this morning. I woke up tired, cranky, and once I finally did get out of bed, I realized I had hardcore DOMS kick in from the leg workout I did on Tuesday. So I was already off to a rough start, and I hadn’t even put on my running shoes yet. 

I didn’t take much time getting dressed and out the door though, the quicker I got out and started the quicker I would be done. Unfortunately that ment I skipped out on breakfast. That usually doesn’t work for me. I know some people swear by fasted cardio, but I tend to feel kinda shitty when I don’t run before I eat, and today was no exception.

It was a little difficult to keep my legs moving, and my stomach was empty so I got a little nauseous, but I wanted to run 5 miles, so that’s what I did! 

I stopped twice to see the horses again. The mom was more interested in eating, but the baby came up and let me pet him, so all in all, I’d say this run was a win! 

Once I got back to my grandma’s house I showered, drank some coffee and a bottle of water, ate a bagel with cream cheese and some bacon, drank another bottle of water, then started getting ready for Thanksgiving lunch/dinner. 

Look at me wearing makeup and real clothes for once. πŸ˜‰

This year we went to both of Luke’s grandmas’ houses (well, all three of you count his step grandma). 

First we went to grandma Wilma’s (his mom’s mom). That’s were we ate dinner and hung out with a few of Luke’s aunts and their grandkids, his step sister and her family, his cousin and all of his kids, it was a full house! Lots of fun though, and the food was amazing! 

After that we went to Luke’s step moms parents house. They we’re busy cooking and Luke’s step mom and younger brothers weren’t there yet, so we didn’t stay long. 

After that we went to see Luke’s grandma Becky and Grandpa Ray. They had already had their Thanksgiving get together, so we didn’t eat, but we talked for a while. That was nice. Haha as we were leaving Luke spotted a pumpkin pie, so we all had a slice on our way out. 

Oh man, who would have thought just eating and talking would be so exhausting! I was so very happy to head back to my grandma’s house. We left for Luke’s grandma’s around noon and we didn’t get back here until 6:30 pm, and I am beat! I had a lot of fun though, and for once I didn’t completely over do it during a Thanksgiving meal! 

Don’t get me wrong, I probably still ate way too much but I only had one plate at Luke’s grandma’s, and I only took a small am of what I wanted. So I had some turkey, cranberry sauce, corn, green beans, 2 deviled eggs, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a slice of pie. At Luke’s other grandmas I had anothe slice of pie, and at my grandma’s I had two dinner rolls. I literally waited all day to eat dinner rolls because I knew she would bring some back from my great aunt’s house (that’s where she and my brother ate Thanksgiving dinner), and she makes the BEST rolls. Anyway, I’m super proud of myself. Usually I go all out and spend the whole day eating whatever I can get my hands on and I usually end up being waaay to full and uncomfortable, but today I’m full, satisfied, but not overly stuffed. It’s actually quite nice. πŸ˜„

Anyway, now that I’m back home I need to drink some water! I had two bottles of water this morning and a glass of unsweetened iced tea at grandma Wilma’s, but nothing after that, so I’m feeling a bit dried out! 

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, a bunch of tasty food, and a chance to spend some time with your family! Stay safe out there if you’re traveling or doing Black Friday shopping, things tend to get a bit crazy this time of year! Luke and I are heading back home tomorrow, so that should be interesting, hopefully traffic won’t be to crazy…

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving again!

~Ashley πŸ¦ƒ


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s