Border Collies

While this doesn’t exactly fit with the overall “theme” of my blog, it’s still something I feel like I need to talk about.

It happens to me all the time. Whether I’m out running, at the park, or in a gas station parking lot, people want to know about my dogs. That’s not really surprising though. They’re good looking, generally friendly, and obviously well behaved. That doesn’t bother me. I like talking about my dogs, they are basically my children. What bothers me is when people see how well behaved and obedient my dogs are and then say “maybe I should get a border collie”.

Processed with Rookie Cam

No. No. No. No. No. No. No! This goes for any breed of dog, but I’m obviously talking specifically about border collies; A dog that is well behaved DOES NOT equal a breed of dog that is going to be easy to train or handle. I hear this all the time, “border collies are super smart, so they must be easy to train”. That’s not necessarily true.

Yes, they are super intelligent dogs, but you have to remember they were bred to work hard for long periods of time. Because of that, border collies don’t typically make good house pets unless you are 100% prepared to give them the physical and metal stimulation they need. Every. Single. Day. If you won’t be able to do that, they will go a little crazy, they will destroy your house, they will become a problem.

I’ve heard countess “border collie horror stories” from people who assumed they would be easy to handle because they are so smart. Hell, my dog Lily was one. My friend got her from a guy who bred them to herd cattle, but he didn’t know what he was getting into and she ended up chasing cars, chasing his sheep and pony out of his yard, digging, tearing things up, barking at all hours of the night, the list goes on. He ended up giving her to me because he just couldn’t deal with her anymore. After A LOT of hard work on mine and Luke’s part, she is probably one of the best dogs you’ll ever meet. Ok, so I’m probably a little biased, but she is really is a fantastic dog.

img_5689

By now you might be thinking “Ashley, you just said that ‘border collies don’t typically make good house pets’, but you have two of them living in your house. So it must not be that hard, right?” Well, you’d be kind of right. It’s not hard for us because they fit in really well with our active lifestyle. They get to go on multiple walks a day, I run with Dean, they play/hunt squirrels with each other in the back yard, I feel like I’m constantly playing fetch, we’re always making them do their tricks and teaching them knew ones, and when all of that’s not enough (because it’s never enough) we take them to a huge off leash dog park where Lily digs for moles and Dean chases birds.

Since they are working dogs and they both come from hardcore working bloodlines, especially Lily, they both have multiple “jobs” to keep them busy. For example, Dean keeps birds and squirrels out of the garden and Lily has taken it upon herself to guard the house from any activity she finds suspicious (meaning she watches out the windows all day and barks at people/things she doesn’t like).

Processed with Rookie Cam

Basically what I’m trying to say is do some research and be honest with yourself before getting any kind of dog. So many border collies end up in shelters and in rescues because people get them just because they are smart, or pretty, or whatever, and then don’t take the time to consider that they require a lot of work. Seriously, these dogs can’t just hang out with you in your house all day and be happy about it. If you want a dog like that, get a lab.

So yeah, I guess I’m done with my little rant. But if you want to talk about border collies or dogs in general I’d be more than happy to! Haha I’m not kidding when I say I could talk about this kind of thing for day!! πŸ˜‰

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “Border Collies

1. girlmeetsrunning

A great post – really opened my eyes to what collie-ownership involves! We would love to get a dog but know we can’t dedicate enough time to one just yet so are holding off. Love looking at pics of your two though for now πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

2. Rachael @ Catch Me If You Can

i got my border collie specifically because they can run all the time and i needed a running buddy. oreo isnt as high energy as most border collies so there are exceptions to the high energy rule but you can tell when he needs to blow off some steam when he starts pacing and whining. great post, it drives me insane when people get a dog because they are pretty but arent prepared to deal with the real life that is owning a dog and then give it to a shelter. you wouldnt do that with a human child!

Liked by 2 people

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

Ugh, right?! Or when people get a puppy because it’s small and adorable but then dump it in a shelter once it starts getting bigger. And even worse, when people give up their elderly dogs!! A dog should be a life time commitment! It’s not a toy or a fun plaything! Ugh, people who do things like that drive me crazy…

Liked by 2 people

3. Midwestern Plant Girl

I have 2 borders and you couldn’t have written this post any better!! We have time to play, a large yard, and things to keep my boys occupied. Not all folks can offer these things that borders need. They are smart… smart enough to cause some craziness if their smartness isn’t directed on something harmless like a bone. My boys know how to open doors and have even surpassed what we thought a dog was capable of.
    They are like children, not like normal dogs!
    We adopted both of ours, and our Oreo came from a home that did not understand the needs of one. He’s so much happier now. Woof!

Liked by 1 person

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

I’m glad to hear you were able to give Oreo (and your other dog) a good home! I totally agree with you!! πŸ™‚ They seriously are like children! And if left up to their own devices for too long they will get into mischief just like children would.

Liked by 1 person

4. Maria Matthews

Hi I have reblogged this on …decidinglybob.wordpress.com because I so agree with you. Bob, an Norwegian Elkhound is also hard work because this gentle breed are stubborn. Ellie the bc has a long list of jobs . Her main one is search and recovery with a river team , her other jobs are, walking Bob, collecting lost socks, agility training, checking and testing dog puzzle toys, and checking the wheelbarrow is solid and safe to carry vegetables (she does this by sitting in it and being pushed around the garden ).

Liked by 1 person

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

Awesome! Both of your dogs are gorgeous! Sounds like Ellie is one busy puppy! I bet she’s one happy dog too! My border collie Lily helps around my garden as well. She helps me dig (even if I don’t necessarily need her help), inspect the plants, and digs up mole holes/kills any moles she can get a hold of. Dogs are awesome. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

Thanks! Haha They think they are our children, so I’d say that are just a little bit spoiled. πŸ˜‰

5. thehonkinggoose

Also, what I know of Border Collies is that they are fiercely loyal and very attentive to their owners. Which means, like you said, they won’t be content to be left alone at home all day while their human is gone. They need a person who can be with their dog most of the time.

Liked by 1 person

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

You are so right! My dogs are crazy protective of my husband and myself. Our female even feels the need to protect our backpacks whenever we travel anywhere. They are so attuned to body language it’s almost creepy, and I swear they can understand full conversations. They are incredible dogs.

Liked by 1 person

6. Rosedale Gardens

I have 3 rescued Border collies and BC mix. One was beaten trying to make a herder out of her and she just wasn’t one. One was locked in a cage for 2 yrs. The third ended up in a shelter and then foster home and back to shelter when he chased their prized game chickens. They have been a hand full trying to undo what their former owners did to them. They have a mission to get rid of all the mice and other critters on my 3 acres. I blog for GRIT magazine because of all the things they get into. Yes they are smart, and one spends a lot of time checking to see if the wireless fence is working.

If you are prepared to spend time and have work for them to do, then get one. If not, do the dog a favor and pass on them.

Liked by 2 people

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

Oh man, I totally feel you! It took me a while to undo everything Lily’s previous owner did. Luckily I got her when she was almost 5 months old, so there wasn’t a crazy amount of damage done. It always bums me out, hearing about dogs who were mishandled like that, but it sounds like they have a great life now! πŸ™‚

7. Steven Greffenius

Great post, wonderful dogs! I just had my son’s bicycle stolen on a DC bike path, while I went to relieve myself. If I had a protective dog with me, one who guards backpacks with no training, that would not have happened!

I’ll bet they would like mountain biking and trail running.

Thanks for watching the Mike Stember video. With winter here, we need a little encouragement to stay on the road.

Liked by 1 person

1. Ashley Dailey Post author

Oh man, that sucks! Sorry to hear that…But I definitely agree, my dogs would never let anything like that happen. They would totally love trail running! I haven’t had a chance to trail run with them, but we have done some hiking with them, and they absolutely love it! πŸ™‚

8. Pingback: Yay Border Collies!Β  | The Running Rebel